Chapter 8
The space wind was gentle as the slightest underwater
current. The warm nebula was unfolding in front of Lee, and he touched vibrant
trail of constellations, which was intertwining into a mesmerising pattern of
delicate amber-coloured iris of the destroyer's eye. He wasn't scared. It was
special in a way, the fact that they could be on the same page…
'Lee, are you alright? Lee?'
Startled, the young man blinked and changed focus to
the cockpit and sheer disbelief on Onica's face.
'How many times are you going to ask again?' he
sighed.
'I just don't want you to stare at… that thing for
long.'
'It's fine, I won't become insane, I promise.'
'You already are.'
Onica rubbed her face tiredly. Since Eim started to
train Lee, brother was radiating gullibility. Onica knew something was wrong
about this doctor, but she couldn't prove to Lee that Dr Eim was dishonest with
him. And one recent incident made her certain about her concern.
It was not long after Onica finished 'treating' Lee's
broken door. As a skillful mechanic and caring sister, she thought she should
check for other injuries Lee's mechanical body could have, and while inspecting
the spaceship she ended up in a strange yet familiar room. In a scary way. The
girl wrinkled her nose at the musty smell and turned away from disturbing
objects cluttered inside.
'Crazy freak…'
Onica didn't risk to approach piles of things she
would never guessed were dusty books, antique clocks, sandglasses, strange and
useless looking furniture and old bizarre dolls from unknown material. But when
she was ready to leave, her eyes landed on a mysterious notebook, and she
decided to be Eim's guest a bit longer.
Fighting back a wave of nausea, Onica rummaged through
the useless junk to fish out the handwritten journal, which appeared to contain
her and Lee's profiles. The girl was shocked to find out that all this time Eim
was making notes on them - their daily routine, time of every activity, colour
of skin and even smell. There were also numbers indicating pulse and blood
pressure, how did he even get those?
Onica pondered for a while. These data must be
connected to some research, and it was vital to find its records as fast as
possible, so the girl continued searching the room. Eventually she came across
a strange crate, surely hiding some Eim's secret. Onica eagerly opened it, but
the next moment she froze in delight - inside there was a light but dangerously
looking blaster.
'Interested?'
Onica flinched and found nothing better to do as to
grab the blaster and aim it at the doctor.
'No, no, the trigger is over here. And hold a bit
higher, like this, good…'
Onica narrowed her eyes, watching Eim in mistrust.
'What sort of rusty performance is this?'
'No tricks at all, my friend. It's yours.'
'Like… what d'you mean? I can have it?'
'Of course, I made it for you.'
'You know this blaster's gonna get pointed at your
ugly face, right?'
'I do. But first you need to learn how to use it.'
The blaster ended up being a blank, it served only as a
focus for Onica's explosive powers, so only in her hands it became a vicious
weapon. But for some reason Onica still struggled to be grateful.
'You won't buy my trust with unasked help.'
'What will then?'
'The truth.'
Onica took out Eim's notes on her and Lee, but
expression on Eim's face remained indecipherable.
'My dear, you are just a mechanic. What can you know
about scientific projects?'
'I know that you are plotting something behind our
back.'
'As you say, but could you please give me that back,
it's not finished…'
Onica didn't intend to hand the notes over, but
suddenly she felt that she couldn't move. Time went still for her with even her
mind slowing down, and she was helplessly watching Eim casually take the notes
from her.
'Thank you, it was considerate. Now go away, and never
enter this room.'
Lee was startled to hear this story.
'Did you threat Dr Eim? Again?'
'You concentrate on wrong things, Lee! I say, he
monitors us!'
'And? He is a scientist, I don't think you should pry
into his business.'
'Oh really? Why then he didn't ask for our permission?
Anyway, Lee, I am sure this freak is up to no good, and only you can dig it
up.'
'What do you imply?'
'Lee, you have access to the whole shuttle, right? I
am sure some more records are somewhere in his room!'
'I won't do this.'
'Oh, I see. Sided with that psycho, not with your
sister, huh?'
Lee sighed. He understood that Onica wouldn't go easy
and if he didn't help, she would do something worse than pointing a gun at Eim.
'Alright, fine, give me some time.'
After Onica left, Lee breathed out. He hesitated. It
wasn't the first time Lee was tempted to take a glance of Eim's room, but he
restrained himself from doing this. Dr Eim's private space had a special meaning,
but since he promised sister…
Very carefully Lee felt the ship towards the closed
room. His heart started beating louder as he got inside. It was messy just as
Onica described, and Lee stared at every item with fascination. Dr Eim used to
bring some similar things to their classes, and Lee knew that those were
doctor's old inventions. Bulky frames without portraits, empty photo albums,
rotary phones… Lee touched them carefully with his mind and wondered if they
managed to make Eim less lonely. Doctor was always friendly with everyone, but
somehow… so distant. Lee caught himself on a thought that he wished Eim was
attached to other people the way he was attached to things.
Eim was sitting at his desk, and his eyes were closed.
In front of him was an open journal with some handwritten entries, his hand
resting on one of the pages. Was he using plain paper for no one to have access
to his private notes? Lee felt urge to move closer and see if he could feel his
hand through the surface of the desk.
He could. At that moment Lee felt faint as if he was
short of breath, and terror gripped his heart. Endless darkness was suffocating
him, stiffing his moves, but he kept swimming, led by someone's heartbeat.
'You finally came to visit me, my Anchor.'
The vision dissipated, and Lee could see a cluttered
room again, along with Eim sitting at his desk and wiping his eyeglasses. His
face was tired, as he just woke up.
'I am sorry, I didn't know you were having a rest, I
should've asked first and…'
'Calm down, this is completely fine. Be with me for a
while.'
Eim poured some water, and even if his face had usual
ready smile, Lee could feel his hands shaking. He made a cautious attempt to
ask about a strange vision.
'Did you have a bad dream?'
As Eim finished drinking, he completely enamoured
himself with calmness.
'What made you think of that, my dear? I was just
reading and was carried away a bit…'
'I saw you drowning.'
Eim got stunned with a glass in his hand. Lee had a
strong feeling he had done something wrong and rushed to fix the situation.
'I am sorry if it was something private, it is fine if
you don't tell me… I didn't intend to look inside your head, I didn't know that
I can feel not only Anchor, but everyone boarding…'
'No, no… You… Actually you can't,' Eim said
thoughtfully. 'This is a very interesting phenomenon, and I think I know why it
happened. Don't worry, my dear, it wasn't your fault. If you don't mind, we
could research this… case.'
'I'd love to! I mean… If you have time, of course.'
'No need to be so polite, we are friends, after all,'
said Eim cheerfully, he was an expert at easing the tension. 'Come on, let's
have a stroll.'
Eim went upstairs to the bridge canopy with a
spectacular view of the space. Somewhere in the distance, in depths of the
Amber nebula, there was a stunningly bright constellation of Synod, twinkling
indifferently at them, while the hem of starry light floated into the
destroyer's eye. Lone lifeless planets were caught in it, gradually losing their
shine, and Lee thought that he would never find out what they were really like.
Back in Ark city students were said that all those planets were still alive,
and they even made expeditions to them to find some useful resources, but it
all appeared to be just an illusion of the SID.
'A pity we missed the time when there was the sun
instead of the destroyer,' suddenly said Eim. 'It must be stunning to see it so
close.'
'More stunning than seeing a destroyer?' said Lee,
smiling mischievously.
'Well, both stars and destroyers are parts of the same
miracle. Stars radiate light, warmth and life, while destroyers devour light,
warmth and life. It is the greatest law of the universe - stars are the gates
for life to come into this world, destroyers - the gates for life to leave.
Both of them are beautiful in a way.'
Lee looked at the black hole with enchanted smile.
'Yes, that's right. But… This is a bit sad. Our world
was created by stars, but we never saw one and will never see. Isn't it
unfair?'
'Well, think of it in another way, my dear. Every
planet is created with its predetermined code, which contains all information
about its form, conditions, species, the course of their development, rise of
civilizations, length of their life up to death inside a destroyer - everything
is determined by Synod of stars. But still we have humans, who weren't designed
by a star, and some even can make miracles, like you and me. Evolution is a
mistake in universal balance and treason against stars and destroyers, yet it
opens horizons unknown to the whole universe.'
Lee didn't like the thought that he was just a
mistake. He wanted to be loved and cared by his star, the one that would
radiate warm nurturing light instead of constant danger. And he doubted that a
feeble human can oppose a plan of universal deities.
Eim sank into his thoughts, talking more to himself
than to Lee.
'My planet didn't give even a chance for humanity to
live up to build a civilisation. Icarus-4L is made just of water, and when we
were born, we couldn't breathe. From the first moments of my life I realised
that my journey would be full of injustice and trials, and since then I've
never drowned.'
'But… how did you manage to survive?'
'A radiant ship came for us… Well, maybe not exactly
the ship, but a shield. Yes, it was Atlas to save me. All of us. But back then
I didn't rush to be saved, it's… hard to explain. As if there was something
more important than my survival. But I can't remember.'
Lee thought of the nightmare Eim was having - there
was someone else present in his dream, that heartbeat inside the ocean
darkness. Maybe it was a mystery that bothered Eim too. He felt sorry for the
doctor and decided to lift his spirits with a light joke.
'A radiant ship… I guess I know where your passion for
ships comes from.'
'Haha, I'll tell you more, I surpassed him on this
account. You didn't see my masterpiece…' There was a spark full of pride in his
eyes. 'A shuttle, that is larger and greater than any known to the humankind.
And maybe, maybe one day you will have a chance to navigate it, my Anchor.'
'This is… too much honour for a humble pilot like me…'
Lee chuckled shyly, he didn't know how to react. Indeed he was the most
diligent student in doctor's class, but he was sure Eim had too high
expectations of him. 'I mean… I haven't even got my licence yet, let alone
special training…'
'It doesn't matter. I will teach you.' Eim approached
the navigation panel and started adjusting settings. 'What do you remember
about spacewarp?'
The way Lee saw the space around was changing,
revealing different spectres of light and temperature, data on distances and
various grids, until Eim found the right setting. Now the universe looked like
broken shards, drifting around.
'It's exact same as simulation back in Ark! But it
feels completely… different…' Lee was delighted to see a '3D version' of the
interface they had in pilot classes. He could touch the shards and feel the
wind from their drifting by.
'Well… The simulation suggested that you use
"warp" function and that was it. But now you will have to use some
knowledge of universal facets to make it work. I've never told you why the
cosmos is shattered, have I?' Eim smiled thoughtfully, observing the starry
view through the digital tracing. 'We see the intricate patterns of
constellations and horizons because in ancient times the cosmos was broken into
countless facets by the fight between stars and destroyers. A constellation or
a horizon is, in fact, the same star or the same destroyer reflected across
this cosmic polyhedron, its light reaching us from different points in the
universe.'
'So you mean… There are actually way less stars in the
sky?'
'Who knows, maybe part of this cosmic palette is shine
of your handsome eyes, my dear.'
Lee laughed at Eim's joke, but soon he realised that
this time the doctor actually looked serious. Luckily, he went on explaining
facets, and the awkwardness defused.
'Facets appear in places where stars seal destroyers,
sending them to different timeline. You must learn to feel how different facets
are connected, or you risk getting into trouble, my dear.'
Lee focused his vision and looked through some of the
facets drifting nearby. It felt as if he was looking through a scope, so far
away they took him. He could feel time splitting around, and the shine inside
facets was intertwining into stars that existed long ago or were yet to be
born, and it gave him a sense of enormous power in his limbs and ecstatic
freedom. But suddenly he happened to stumble across a black facet that was
silent both about past and future, and Lee's heart clenched with terror.
'Like… if I accidentally get closer to a destroyer?'
'This is the trouble I was speaking of, yes.'
'Can I use facets to take us far away to a safe
place?'
Eim sighed.
'Unfortunately, my dear. You can travel only to those
facets you know well. Although your database now stores quite a few of them,
you have never been out of this planet system. So be careful, my Anchor, some
of those facet routes you've just learnt are now inside of the destroyer.'
Lee went silent for a moment, he couldn't shake off
the oppressive feeling. Suddenly he felt anxious about their trip to the
destroyer.
'But what if it's not true, and inside is only the end
of everything alive?'
'This is… another possibility.'
'Dr Eim… I remember you told us that destroyers grow
if they get energy from stars. You once said that we are… well…'
'You mean, will destroyer grow if it gets our energy?'
said Eim in unexpectedly indifferent voice. 'Of course. Basically, that is why
Atlas evacuates people. Humans with unusual mutation like yours and mine
possess even greater amount of energy, and there are three of us on board. This
will be enough for the destroyer to overgrow the whole planet system in just
several hours.'
He softened and smiled gently, feeling Lee's terrified
silence.
'Don't worry, my Anchor. As I said, if there really is
a passage, this destroyer shouldn't devour us, so nothing of this is meant to
happen. Anyways, the only way to find out is to come closer to the destroyer
and make appropriate analysis.'
'Yes, right…'
Lee wasn't a science expert, and he was relieved that
he could trust this question to Eim. He was eager to reveal the secret of the
warp and was looking forward to his dream - the land with a star, and Eim was
well aware of it.
'I am pleased that you share my enthusiasm, my dear.
You are a very clever boy, together we can achieve more.' Eim said, his eyes
glinted slyly. 'Soon you will be better than ever. I am sure, someday you will
be faster than the speed of light.'
Lights of the spaceship dimmed shyly.
'Thank you, Dr Eim, I won't let you down.'
Suddenly he caught a glimpse of a bright flash with
the back of his eye somewhere deeper in space. While he was taking time to
think what it might be, Eim quickly joined him in the cockpit.
'Anchor, we will need to speed up.'
'What's going on?' Onica said, as she quickly came to
the bridge.
All the three noticed dozens of skiffs going after
them, and they were shining dazzlingly as if made of light.
'Atlas. He managed to catch up with us. Anchor,
prepare to warp, I will handle this.'
Dangerous light rays pierced the space, but before
they could reach the spaceship, they were slowed down thanks to Eim's efforts,
and Lee could dodge them.
'How can I warp? I don't know how to warp!'
Lee was getting nervous, as no matter how fast he was,
shining skiffs were close behind them, and their shots had great range. For
some time Eim managed to slow them down effortlessly, but suddenly the skiffs
changed tactics and made a blinding flash, which disoriented Eim. The ship
shook with several hard blows, and Lee moaned with pain, emergency sensors
started flashing.
'I hate when he does this…' grumbled Eim and switched
his attention to sensors and settings, preparing the ship for the warp.
Onica was desperately trying to fix vital parts of the
ship, but it was impossible while they were under attack. Ignoring pain, Lee
tried his best to maneuver between shots, but there were too many of them, and
gradually the skiffs were forming something like a shining shield, which was
growing around Anchor like a trap. Another attack breached the ship's hull, the
cosmic hunger crept inside, it was getting hard to breathe. Onica rushed to
Eim, crying:
'We don't have time for warp, Lee needs your help
now!'
'Anchor will stand,' answered Eim coldly.
'I'm not talking about your damn ship, Lee is in pain!
D'you hear me? You…' suddenly expression on her face changed, as realisation
came to her. 'You don't care about Lee…'
It was useless to talk to him. Suppressing panic,
Onica started knocking her chest violently, but her fist struck the buckle.
Puzzled, she ran her hand down the sling and found the blaster attached to it -
she completely forgot she was wearing a weapon now.
'I guess I've got a present for ya, oil-suckers!'
Armed with confidence, Onica grabbed her gun and
rushed to the breach in the hull, clinging to everything she could for not to
be devoured by the space. Loaded with girl's energy, the blaster was making
precise and powerful shots with high range, skiffs were exploding one by one,
and the shining shield shattered.
'That's what I call the day!' exclaimed Onica
victoriously. But next moment concern appeared on her face again, as she saw
another division of skiffs to come, and there were way more to them. 'Guys, I
doubt I gonna take them all down, if you care to ask!'
As Onica was dealing with the assault, Eim finished
plotting the course and rushed to Lee's cockpit. The pilot could now see among
fractured space a highlighted facet he was supposed to jump into.
'Anchor, we are going to warp now.'
'But… I don't know how… I have never…' Lee was
trembling with overloading, his voice was weak.
'Don't worry I will help you.'
Eim placed his hands on Lee's chest where his heart
was.
'I will give you an impulse, and you have to follow it
immediately. Release all strength you can to speed up at the right moment,
okay? Not earlier, not later.'
'What… If I don't manage to do it on time?'
'You had better to, otherwise we will have one pilot
less. Ready?'
Lee went cold. He was ready for a deadly challenge,
but he wasn't ready to see cold indifference in Eim's eyes. Ruthless thrust of
his hands sank Lee into a powerful impulse of Eim's power. He felt a giant wave
nearing to his tiny body of a ship, a wave where he could be lost, devoured.
Obediently, Lee waited for it to come closer and clang to it, melting into
sheer energy, intertwining with the wave. It traversed the space and carried
him away, far away through the right facet, straight to the hollow eye, and
then everything went silent.
'Lee, do you hear me? Damn you, Lee!'
The youngster opened his eyes and saw Onica's dark
face, covered with ship's blood.
'Did we… Succeed?
'I am proud of you, my dear Anchor, you made
everything right,' said Eim, he was standing on the bridge, enjoying the view.
'You were badly injured,' Onica explained. 'I fixed
some of your wounds, but I promise, I will do everything for you to recover as
soon as possible.'
'Why is everything so… dark…'
Eim smiled solemnly.
'Take a look, my dear. We are at the hem of the destroyer. We are almost there.'
.jpg)